Rahmi M. Koç
Rahmi M. Koç, born in Ankara, Turkey in October 9th, 1930, is the Honorary Chairman and Member of the
Board of Directors of Koç Holding A.Ş.
He received a degree in Business Administration from Johns Hopkins University. After completing his military service, in 1958, he started to work in Otokoç Company in Ankara.
In 1960 he was transferred to Koç Ticaret, the company representing the Koç Group in Ankara. Koç Holding was founded in 1963, and, when the Holding Headquarters were set up in Istanbul in 1964, he moved to Istanbul and became Koç Holding General Coordinator.
He then became Chairman of the Executive Committee in 1970, Vice President of the Board in 1975, and Chairman of the Managing Committee, in 1980.
On March 30th 1984, when the late Vehbi Koç stepped down from the Chairmanship, Rahmi M. Koç was elected Chairman. When he retired on April 4th, 2003, his eldest son, Mustafa V. Koç was appointed Chairman. Rahmi M. Koç has remained a Board Member and assumed the title of Honorary Chairman.
Rahmi M. Koc
is or has been affiliated with the philanthropic, social and professional organisations including:
• The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, Honorary Trustee
• Former President of the International Chamber of Commerce (President from 1.1.1995 - 31.12.1996)
• Former Co-Chairman of the Business Advisory Council for South East Europe (BAC SEE)
• Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the
Vehbi Koç Foundation
• Honorary Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the
• Founder and Chairman of the Board of the Rahmi M. Koç Museum and Cultural Foundation
• Chairman of the Board of the
Vehbi Koç Foundation American Hospital
• Honorary Chairman and Founding Member of
TURMEPA, The Turkish Marine and Environment Protection Association
• Honorary President of the Advisory Board of the Turkish Industrialists' and Businessmen's Association
• Member of the Advisory Board of the Turkish Employers Association
• Founding Chairman of the Global Relations Forum
• Member of Confrerie de la Chaine des Rotisseurs Baillage National de Turquie
• Former President of the Turkish Greek Business Council (1992 – 1999)
• Former member of the Allianz Aktiengesellschaft International Advisory Board
• Former member of the JP Morgan International Council
• Former member of the International Advisory Board of the Council on Foreign Relations
Mr. Koç has been awarded Honorary Doctorate degrees by
Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, Maryland (May 21st, 1998); Anadolu University, Eskişehir (September 28th, 1998), Ege University, Izmir (May 14th, 1999), Bilkent University Ankara (June 14th, 2000), Ovidius University of Constanza (April 23rd, 2001) and Adnan Menderes University, Aydın (May 26th, 2008).
Rahmi M. Koç's contributions to Turkey were recognized by the President of Turkish Republic with the "Outstanding Service Award" on October 27th, 1997 for his work in the fields of health, education and social services.
Rahmi M. Koç was awarded with the German Government's Grosses Verdienst Kreutz on July 5th, 1982 for his contribution to Turkish-German trade and industry and has been honoured by the Italian Government with the "Order of High Merit of the Italian Republic", on April 19th, 2001, for increasing the economic and commercial cooperation between Italy and Turkey. He received the Order of Merit of the Austrian Government on December 5th, 2003 for his contributions to expanding trade in the Balkans as well as the countries of southeast Europe and to trade relations between Austria and Turkey.
On October 19th, 2007, the Koç Family received the Hadrian Award granted annually by the World Monuments Fund to persons or institutions that contribute to the cultural legacy of the world every year.
Since the Hadrian's Award, the Koç Family has accepted the Carnegie Medal of Philanthropy on October 15th, 2009 in New York and BNP Paribas Philanthropy Award on June 21st, 2011 in Paris.
The following day, on June 22nd, 2011, Mr. Rahmi M. Koç was appointed to the rank of (Honorary) Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE) in recognition of his distinguished contribution to British-Turkish relations over many years.
Koç Family received the
Iris Foundation Award from BARD Graduate Center on April 18, 2012 to celebrate their global philanthropic contributions.
Rahmi M. Koç, was named an "Officier dans l'Ordre National de la Legion D'Honneur", the highest medal awarded by the French government since 1802 on June 9th, 2015.
Rahmi M. Koç received Responsible Capitalism Lifetime Achievement Award for his significant contributions to Turkish economy and his investment in healthcare, education and cultural programmes across Turkey from FIRST, a leading London-based multidisciplinary international affairs organisation on December 4th, 2014.